Last Updated on
Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Iron Supplements
- Zahler Complete Blood Building (Editor’s Choice)
- Ancestral Grass-Fed Beef Liver) (Luxury Choice)
- Zipvit Vegan Tablets) (Best Value)
- Spatone Natural Liquid (Best Liquid)
- Floradix Liquid Formula (Best Natural)
- Vitabiotics Feroglobin Liquid (Best for the Whole Family)
- WeightWorld Tablets (Best Vegan)
- Nutravita Tablets (Best GMO-Free)
- Solvotrin for Women (Best Gluten-Free)
- Novomins Gummies (Best Gummies)
With iron supplements, or with any supplements, you want to know you are taking the best on the market that meet certain industry standards. After all, you are dealing with something that is connected to your health, and that’s not the kind of thing where you take any chances.
There are so many different iron supplements out there on the market that finding the right one can be stressful. However, we have sought to take away that stress by working through those options to see then what’s available.
These supplements can come as capsules, tablets, or in liquid. Also, with various options out there, you need to make sure they meet your iron needs before you begin.
So, let’s go through the list before we offer you some guidance on how to choose the best iron supplement UK suppliers have to offer.
Iron Supplement Reviews
First up, we have this Zahler Iron Complex supplement, and what we love about this is that it does state it’s gentle on your stomach, and that should mean you won’t feel bad when taking it. Also, they note that their iron supplements won’t constipate you either, so that’s another huge bonus.
This is also a complete iron supplement designed to help your red blood cells, which then, as a result, improves oxygen levels in your body and tackles any iron deficiency you may have.
They have also included the correct amount of Vitamin C to stop that constipation, so it seems as if this company has thought of the most common side effects and sought to stop them.
Overall, this supplement is easy to swallow, it seems to be powerful enough, and it will certainly make a difference in your iron levels.
- It is very easy to take
- It is gentle on the stomach
- You won’t get constipated
- It delivers enough iron to boost your levels
- It contains Vitamin C
- As with any supplement, having no side effects is not guaranteed
- It takes some time to potentially work
This supplement is different in that it comes from beef liver, but that’s known to be a good source of iron, so having it in supplements makes a lot of sense.
This supplement is of high quality, and it is completely pure. It is also GMO-free, which is another bonus, while it also contains other minerals in the supplement that will also boost your energy.
This version comes in capsule form, so be aware of that if you have some difficulty in swallowing capsules. However, we can say that the contents are well balanced, so if you want to take iron supplements that come from a more natural source, then this supplement will be ideal.
- This is completely natural and doesn’t contain any fillers
- It is GMO-free
- It contains a great source of iron
- The entire product is high-quality
- It contains various other minerals to boost your health
- If you struggle with capsules, then it’s going to be tough taking this
- If you are a vegetarian or vegan, then this won’t work
This iron supplement is going to provide you with 100% of your RDA, so no need to worry about your iron levels. Also, this is done via a single tablet per day.
The supplement has also been passed by the vegetarian society, so if you are vegetarian, then you have nothing to worry about; even vegans can take this supplement without any concerns.
The entire supplement is designed to boost your normal cognitive function, while it also claims to help with fatigue and generally feeling tired. The pack comes with 180 tablets, so you are covered for six months.
Overall, this supplement does what it promises. It does contain the level of iron that is stated on the bottle, and they say it’s also pretty safe on your digestive system as well.
- It is perfect for both vegetarians and vegans
- It boosts those iron levels with ease
- You only have to take a single tablet per day
- It should stop you from feeling tired or fatigued
- You get 100% of your RDA
- There’s a lot of wasted space in the bottle
- The tablets have no real coating, so they can be tough to swallow
This iron supplement comes in liquid form, so immediately, that’s good news for people that struggle with either capsules or tablets. Also, this version comes in an apple flavour, so at least it shouldn’t leave a strange aftertaste for you.
This supplement also comes with some added Vitamin C, which should mean you don’t suffer from the more common side effects such as constipation. However, it’s not a guarantee.
These sachets come in a one a day pack. Also, they state that they are safe to use for all the family, even from two years of age, although you should seek medical advice at that age.
Overall, they are easy to use and deliver the right amount of iron in a simple drink, and while it may not be orange juice, the apple flavour appears to be not too bad at all.
- The liquid makes it very easy to take the iron
- It does come with a flavour attached, so it won’t taste as horrible
- It delivers the correct amount of iron in an easy to use manner
- It is completely safe to use even for all the family
- It does remove the problem of swallowing tablets
- While the taste is not too bad, it won’t be for everyone
- They do recommend diluting in orange juice, which is a slight contradiction
This supplement contains ferrous gluconate, and the entire product is specially formulated to make sure it delivers the correct amount of iron in a single dosage. It also contains other vitamins to boost your energy, along with herbs and even sea kelp.
The iron in this product makes it very easy for your body to absorb it. The other ingredients are also designed to stop issues such as constipation or it affecting your stomach.
Also, the product is safe for vegetarians is GMO-free, and has nothing surprising contained in the ingredients. Also, you don’t need to dilute in fruit juices, as it’s all ready to take immediately.
- This is one of the easiest liquid forms to take
- It contains other useful vitamins that your body will love
- Ingredients are designed to stop constipation
- It should not negatively affect your stomach
- It is safe for vegetarians
- The taste won’t be ideal for everyone
- Watch it doesn’t stain your teeth
This liquid comes with many additional minerals and vitamins in the supplement that it comes across as planning on tackling your health in general. However, that’s not always a bad thing.
It does contain natural fruit extracts for the taste, and that makes a difference. It also makes it easier to take the liquid as a result. In fact, this iron supplement has no known side effects, and that’s a huge deal. If you tend to be sensitive to those sorts of things, then this could be a winner.
It also means it’s going to be ideal for the whole family. Anybody of any age can take this supplement daily and will see the benefit.
- It really is safe for the entire family
- It has no known side effects
- It contains fruit extracts that help with the taste
- It’s very easy to take on a daily basis
- It is exceptionally gentle on your stomach
- It does contain sugar, so be careful if diabetic
- It takes some time to work
With a full year of tablets in this bottle, you won’t have to worry about having to reorder for some time. Also, these tablets are fully vegan, and this is something that has been certified, and it’s not just the company making that claim.
The iron, in this case, is ferrous fumarate, and it does come from completely natural sources. Also, this is known as gentle iron, and that’s because of how easy it is on your stomach. It doesn’t contain too much iron in each supplement either, but it will still have enough to boost your levels, allowing your body to carry oxygen to all of the corners of your body.
This food supplement is manufactured to the highest industry standards. It is pure when it comes to its ingredients, and there should be little chance of you experiencing any side effects.
- The tablets are small in size, so that makes it easier to swallow them
- They do appear to be easy on your stomach
- It delivers more than just iron to your body
- It is fully vegan
- It is manufactured to the highest safety standards possible
- It doesn’t contain Vitamin C
- There is a risk of constipation for some people
This bottle comes with enough tablets to last you 6 months, and they are free from GMO ingredients. Manufactured by Nutravita, you will be getting 100% of your RDA in just one single tablet, so they are exceptionally easy to take.
The form of iron in this supplement is easy to absorb, so your body should be able to get the maximum possible out of the product. This is great news, as it’s not always the case with some iron supplements, and that’s why we see this one as being one of the best.
Containing gentle iron, it should be the case that this product feels very gentle on your stomach, so the idea of having an upset stomach should not apply to most people. However, there’s no guarantee.
- The product does deliver 100% of your RDA in a single tablet
- The fact it contains gentle iron does help your digestion
- Your body should be able to absorb pretty much all of the iron leading to more benefits
- The tablets seem to have a coating making them easy to swallow
- The bottle isn’t too big, so it’s easy to store
- You could end up having some stomach issues even though they claim it won’t
- Even though they are small, some people may still struggle to swallow tablets
This iron and B-complex supplement is going to deliver a whole host of potential health benefits, and the entire thing is delivered in capsule form.
This product delivers 121% of your RDA, and that’s impressive. However, it does mean you need to be careful with what you are taking to make sure you don’t take too much iron.
Another thing to point out is that it does contain milk. That may be a problem if you are lactose intolerant, but it will deliver a whole lot of iron.
Overall, this supplement is going to be quite gentle on your stomach, and this version contains ferrous sulfate, which is a good source of iron for most people.
- It delivers a whole lot of iron in one tablet and one capsule
- It is still going to be quite gentle on your stomach
- It does contain the more common source of iron
- The B-complex is a nice added bonus for your health
- It has been clinically proven to be twice as absorbent
- You need to take both a tablet and capsule
- If you struggle with taking that, then you may have a problem here
These gummies make it easy for you to chew and get your iron allowance, as it really does feel like you are eating some sweets instead of a supplement.
This version has a strawberry flavour while it also contains Vitamin C, so that’s going to help prevent that dreaded constipation that can be quite common with supplements. To take it, you need to eat two capsules per day, but that won’t be a problem with the way you consume the supplements.
These gummies are not only gluten-free but GMO-free and also dairy-free. Basically, nobody should have any problems taking this supplement.
Overall, these gummies will be the perfect way of taking iron if you have an issue with other forms; however, the strawberry flavour may not be for everyone.
- They are very easy to eat
- They deliver a lot of iron in an easy to consume way
- It does have a nice strawberry flavour
- It comes with Vitamin C to help your stomach
- It is gluten, dairy, and GMO-free
- It’s actually easy to overeat these gummies
- If you don’t like strawberries, then best to look for something else
Why Bother with Iron Supplements?
So why would you bother with iron supplements in the first place? Well, there are a number of pretty obvious reasons as to why this could be the best course of action for you to take.
It’s key that we have enough iron in our bodies to support different bodily processes. The amount of iron in our body will determine how we move oxygen around the body as it’s directly linked to the production of red blood cells.
If you are low in iron, then you will experience a number of clear physical symptoms, and we are not just talking about full-blown anaemia here either.
At times, you may experience the following physical ailments that are all directly linked to the amount of iron you have in your system.
- Chest pains
- Short of breath
- Feeling dizzy
- Cold hands
- Cold feet
- Irregular heartbeat
- Pale skin
While that’s not a complete list, it does show you what could happen, and it can all be cured by adding more iron to your body and meeting your iron needs.
How to Choose
In order to choose the best iron supplements for you, it’s important to take several points into consideration. As with any supplements, just opting for the first one you come across is not the best course of action. That is where mistakes can be made, and we want to make sure that you avoid that happening to you.
So, this is what we recommend when it comes to being able to choose the correct iron supplements for your needs, as there’s more to it than simply knowing how much iron you need to take.
Consider the Form
The first point is to consider the form of iron supplements. This applies to all food supplements, and not only those seen as being iron products.
In this instance, you can take a liquid iron supplement, you can have it in capsules, or some people will prefer tablets. This means you should have no problem in being able to consume your supplements as clearly not everyone loves trying to swallow tablets, so the liquid form would be a better alternative.
The liquid iron supplement is certainly easier to take for some people. It will still contain as much iron as you need, and that is why we have included the best iron supplement in liquid form to help you with your decision.
Be Aware of Side Effects
You need to also be aware of the potential side effects linked to the supplements. While many will include Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, to help with your digestion, there’s no guarantee that this will help.
It will often be best to take all the iron supplements during a meal. That is going to hopefully protect your stomach from the iron capsules, and don’t expect that the liquid form will help. They can all affect your digestion. Taking it on an empty stomach is not the best of ideas.
Aside from that, there should be very few side effects for you to be worried about when taking these supplements.
Understand the Correct Dose You Need
As with taking a vitamin, knowing how much iron supplement to take is important. This applies no matter the form of iron contained in the supplement. Whether it be ferrous gluconate, ferrous fumarate, or anything else, the dosage will be the key to what you feel like once the supplement takes effect.
Many iron supplements will also contain other vitamins and minerals. This is designed to give you more of a balanced diet, from a supplements point of view, and the best iron supplements will help you out in more than just the iron department.
Knowing how much iron you need should always be your starting point, and this is especially true when you suffer from iron deficiency anaemia. Iron deficiency is a serious condition. You cannot guess how much iron you need as that is where you can damage those red blood cells instead of helping them.
Also, you need to be aware if you have difficulty with iron absorption. While each iron supplement, including a liquid iron supplement, does have different iron absorption levels, that’s not always something you will be aware of before taking it.
Meanwhile, high doses of iron can also be dangerous and can have their own side effects that could impact your health.
If you don’t know your correct dosage, then it’s easy to have the wrong iron supplements that won’t correct your iron deficiency. A simple blood test can make a real difference in this department, and it will at least help you to know if you are taking the right supplements for your needs.
Key Points About Safety of Iron Supplements
We do recommend you only look at taking iron supplements that are made to the highest of standards. That doesn’t only apply to pregnant women, although pregnant women have to take some additional steps to ensure they do not take too much iron.
You must also pay attention to the RDA with each supplement. Those figures are there for a reason, and each supplement will state the RDA on the bottle, so you know what you are taking.
In other words, we don’t want you to just take any random form of iron supplement without thinking it through. Sure, it may help your red blood cells to maintain normal oxygen transport around your body, but is the dose high enough? Does it actually contain additional vitamins to help your body to deal with the iron?
Also, if they claim it is for vegetarians or vegans, then is that actually the case? They should have been passed by the relevant authorities, who will certify that this is the case. Don’t just take their word for it if this is important to you.
Identifying the Best Iron Supplements
Even though we trust the various iron tablets, or liquid iron supplements listed above, you still need to understand how to get the best iron supplement for your needs.
You want pure sources of iron, whether it’s folic acid or anything else. Also, understand if you can swallow iron tablets or if you need iron supplements in other forms. We mentioned those forms earlier, but as we are making sure you get the correct form to help your iron deficiency, we recommend going back to that part of our guide to making sure you know what to buy.
To identify the best iron supplement for you, we recommend that you think about the following points.
- How do you consume iron?
- How well is it going to be absorbed by your body?
- Does it contain Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, to help prevent constipation?
- Are there any known side effects linked to the iron supplement?
- Which form of iron is contained within the iron supplement?
- Is it easy to swallow the iron supplement?
- Be aware of the dose you need to take.
- Does it contain vitamins and other minerals?
As you will see, there are not too many aspects to consider when trying to find the best iron supplements for you to take. However, as we have said throughout this guide, don’t rush into buying those capsules or tablets without checking them out.
Choosing the best iron tablets, or capsules, or even a liquid is something you need to take some time over. As an example, it’s all fine buying the best iron supplement for anaemia, but if that’s not your main concern, that wouldn’t be the best solution for you.
Deciding to take iron to help your health is important. However, merely grabbing the first supplements you see is not the right course of action. Pay attention to the points listed above in our guide, and you should discover that getting the right supplements for your body and health with minimal side effects should no longer be problematic.
After that, you should discover you have more energy, better concentration, and generally feel better in life, and who wouldn’t want to experience that?
If you are looking for the best iron supplement that is gentle on your stomach, the Zahler Complete Blood Building might be ideal for you. Not only it’s designed to help aid iron deficiency, but it also improves your body’s oxygen levels. And with the help of the right amount of Vitamin C, it can stop the most common side effect of taking iron supplements: constipation.
With so many options available for the best iron supplements UK suppliers can offer, at least you won’t have to worry about finding something that will eliminate you from having to feel tired all the time.
Now, doesn’t that sound good?